At Trafalgar Dentistry, we always pride ourselves on the quality of our infection control. Patients may notice things like gloves and clean sinks but there is much more to it than that!
All of our staff have had a full induction and receive ongoing training regarding infection and prevention.
Within the dental practice, wherever possible we use disposable equipment and materials. Where we have to re use equipment and materials, we follow a strict decontamination routine, which includes the use of an autoclave at all times.
Our dental surgeries were specifically designed to help us deliver the highest levels of infection control and all decontamination is carried out in a separate room, which is used for that purpose only.
The main priorities of our Infection Control policy are:
- Effective hand washing
- Appropriate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Cleaning and decontamination of the working environment
- Effective cleaning, decontamination and sterilisation of equipment
- Correct storage of sterile instruments and equipment
- Using protective barriers
- Management of clinical waste
- Maintaining dental unit water lines (DUWL)
- Management of Legionella
- Decontamination of impressions and prosthetic appliances
- Pre employment/ ongoing medical checks of immunisations and vaccinations
- Correct handling and disposal of needles and sharps
- Needle stick injury policy.
We have passed all Dental Practice Inspections and have had excellent feedback about our standards of infection control.
If you would like to see our infection control policy, please ask a member of staff